Saturday, November 3, 2007

A Beautiful Day in Paradise

I finally arrived in Mesopotamia between the banks of the Tigres and Euphrates Rivers on October 20. I spent the night at the Baghdad Transition Center, then on to Camp Anaconda on Sunday, October 21 (my birthday). I celebrated my birthday by having a chili cheeseburger, onion rings, and a strawberry sundae for lunch, then having a banana split for my evening meal. I leave for Camp Speicher in a couple of days, where I will be posted (until someone decides they need more truck drivers at some other camp) for at least 120 days.

The company seems to have improved since the last time I was here, and everything seems to be a lot more positive now than before. Now, after you have been at a location for 120 days, you can apply for a transfer to another base, and they are allowing the transfers to happen. I think the improvement in attitudes and treatment is due to the current Project Manager, who is extremely emphatic about company policy of dignity and respect. He spoke to us (truck drivers) the second day we were here at Anaconda, and seems to be a straight shooter, who doesn't talk out of the side of his mouth, if you know what I mean.

Today I checked out a new level IV waistcoat, along with a ballroom gown, gloves and headdress to wear when I go ballroom dancing. The gown, gloves and headdress are made of Nomex fabric, and should be quite stylish, except for the fact everyone else will be wearing the same thing! The day I arrived at Anaconda, I was issued a tiara to wear to the dances, but it seems to be fairly heavy. Many of the soldiers refer to their tiara as Kevlar. Hope this finds everyone well. I am doing well, as I got paid for the first last days of October on November 2, instead of November 16th. During orientation they had told us we wouldn't get paid until later, as we had arrived in country after October 15th. I had the good sense to not complain about being paid early. Some of my friends from Kenya are starting to arrive here now also, which gives me more opportunity to practice the few words of Swahili I learned in Houston. There are also some Ugandan soldiers here who are also helping me learn my new language. Having a good time, wish you were all here. The house thermals look promising for flatland flying.

Smooth Air, Long Flights, and Soft Landings,
GliderMike

No comments: