Friday, July 27, 2007

In Search of the "V"

This evening (Thursday), after I got off work, I went to try to find Launch at the "V" above Bountiful. Someone had told me to take Skyline Drive and it would put me at the "V". They told me I would run into Skyline Drive if I went east from the 400 North exit at Bountiful off I 15. Thirty miles later, I am coming down the road that runs up Farmington Canyon. More than half the drive was in the dark, as I didn't get done with work til nearly 8pm, instead of the 5:30 I had hoped for. At one point, I was nearly as high as launch for Francis Peak, and another time I could see Ogden to the west and Morgan to the east. This would be a nice scenic drive to do sometime when flying is not an option, but it wasn't what I had in mind for this evening. I saw a guy on a bicycle riding up the road, and he had probably done 10 miles up the hill when I saw him. If I had turned around and went back down the way I went up, I was going to ask him if he was training for the "Leadville 100". If you haven't heard of it, the Leadville 100 is a 100 mile mountain bike race that starts and ends in Leadville, Colorado, elevation 10,000 ft or thereabouts. It never gets below 8,000 ft, and I think it goes through 12,000 several times. Maybe even 13,000 ft. If you haven't walked around at 12,000 ft in a while, let me remind you there isn't much oxygen there. If I ever find launch for the "V" I am going to take photos, and maybe get someone else to take photos of me launching from there.

No comments: