Monday, May 7, 2007

North Bound on the South Bound Side


I'm in Wytheville, VA this morning heading North on Interstate 81, which at this point is also South on Interstate 77!!! I finally got the photo posted July 9, only two months later. I'm heading for Vineland, NJ with 42,000 pounds of Mexican avocados. I've driven across the Appalachian Trail once this morning, and will cross it again later today, and again tomorrow morning. One of these years, I'll hike it, the whole thing, if I don't die first.

Saturday I put in for time off, starting May 20, 2007, and going back to work October 22, 2049. I added a note that the going back to work was after my 100th birthday. My dispatcher didn't pay much attention to my request, as she initially read it as off on May 20 and back on May 22, with no regard to the years. I sent her another message, spelling the months and including the days and years, to be sure she got the dates correct, and I would be ready to go back to work after 42 years, 5 months, and 2 days, and she replied, "Yes, it doesn't make any sense to me." I then replied, "It's called 2 weeks notice." Her lack of attention, is part of the reason I decided to bail. I had asked for a routing request from Laredo, TX to Vineland, NJ, and she told me to give her an ETA after I had the wagon loaded. If I was going to be able to give her an ETA after the wagon was loaded, I wouldn't have asked for routing! Haven't decided 100% to bail on the 19th, but I'm 99% sure. This gig is definitely geting into my flying time. I'll see if I can find gainful employment with at least one weekend day off, based in Salt Lake City. I'd prefer to find something that doesn't involve me with driving a truck. We'll see what happens.

Later, long flights, and soft landings,

GliderMike

No comments: